DXX-Rebirth Forum

Full Version: DXX-Rebirth Tracker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Heh, people still hang out in kali huh? Well yeah it's also the fact that it's not free that makes it a bit not recommended. Anyways, the point is that there are multiple access points for multiplaying; AFP's mumble server kindly hosted by zif, IRC channels (besides Rebirth's channels there are more), here in this forum, the Rangers, and so on. And yes, I know the Rangers play games every day. At whatever hours (timezone incompatibilities sometimes). And so on. To return on topic, the tracker made it possible to collect all running games in one place (the tracker) and allow instant access to all these games, for incoming players checking the tracker. So if there's no game on the tracker, that means no-one on the planet using Rebirth plays the game. So nothing really much you can do 'bout it. Smile

Flip

Yeah, that's my point really. Most all games on Kali are coordinated and then started. I am in Rangers myself, but considering the total of people playing , I'm against any exclusionary moves. Descent players need one place in common to meet, no matter where. It would be much more healthy for the game and community itself and again I say, but for the 15 bucks, if you want to hang out with real D1 and D2 players, at the moment that is Kali. Otherwise your just constantly checking the tracker and it's hit or miss. Rangers could have been that place but their adherence to rules that do not take into account the current community has kept them from realizing that.
It's not exactly hit or miss.  I've noticed some times when it's more active, and I can usually get in a game every 2 or 3 days, which is good enough for me -- I like D1 D2 multi but I'm more into D3 anarchy (for the total chaoticness of full servers), and D1/D2 Co-op, which I can do with my brother anytime I want.
But speaking of total chaos I'm really longing for a D1 game in that mission Tongue.
Everyone has a point...
Anyway, as Hawkins said I wouldn't recommend kali either.
I even tried to use it its too complicated and not free- I dont want to learn how to use it and put more rubbish to my computer, Its a lot of hassle .. and pay that only to increase the chance to play descent is simply too expensive.
However I see it may be good thing for US players.
On the other hand if someone is too lazy to go to the mumble or webchat-irc, I wouldnt count he will go for kali.
... And then we have the fact that Kali is only available in Windows and Mac packages--no other OS's, no source code that we can compile for other OS's. Like Steam, it's not portable in the slightest. If I wanted to run it, I would have to use compatibility layers--and then Kali would think it's in Windows, while my game is a Linux program ... I dunno if that would even work. Tongue

So I forever stay in the places where users of almost all OS's can play. I hope portability and other good programming standards can someday become more than just dreams in this cluttered world of proprietary software. :Smile

Flip

Not trying to push Kali because I actually agree with the rest but that is incorrect Ryu. Xkali is a linux port for kali that works real well actually for IPX, chat and file trading. If your interested, I can e-mail you the latest source.
(08-27-2011, 05:34 PM)Flip link Wrote: [ -> ]Not trying to push Kali because I actually agree with the rest but that is incorrect Ryu. Xkali is a linux port for kali that works real well actually for IPX, chat and file trading. If your interested, I can e-mail you the latest source.

(O_o) Oops ... I'll go check that out as soon as I can. Wonder why the main Kali site didn't link to that--it only claimed Kali was for Windows and Mac. Poor advertising, I guess ... Tongue No need to e-mail it, though; I can just Google it.
Hiya
Download levels from tracker is great idea Matt.
Unfortunately current solution doesn't work, it produces 404 error (in most cases I guess - it didn't work even once for me at least).
Maybe it would be possible to generate search query with partial name on the tracker for this website http://www.koolbear.com/Descent/search_pop_w_audio.htm , it would be much easier if it would use GET method rather than POST...
Even if it's impossible you could just add the direct link to this search engine which would open in a new window...it's better than 404 error anyway.
I think it would be more efficient that the mission_name instead of mission_title would be used to provide a download link. I'll relay this to Matt asap.
Yes, mission name is needed to find it....it's deep in the depths of the tracker website now, showing it straight on the list would be great.
Thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9